Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Buckley

As I consider the presidential campaign of 2008, the passing of William F. Buckley has lent some perspective. McCain has experience, Obama has charisma, Hillary has...well, Obama has charisma. There is no guarantee that any of these three will ever have any substantial impact on history. Buckley, however, created a movement that has endured for decades and will likely live beyond him. WFB was an intellectual, an incredible thinker who could present the concepts of conservatism in ways that made us wish we could think, write and talk like him. He founded the magazine, National Review, and was an author, TV host and social commentator.

I have spent my adult life following the legacy of Ronald Reagan and William F. Buckley. I can't say that I am particularly impressed with those who are purporting to follow in their footsteps but I will say this: William F. Buckley, love him or hate him, was the real deal, a legend as a thinker, writer, and social phenomenon. RIP, WFB.

No comments: