Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Where Is My Net?

So the amazing journey has taken its biggest turn to date. Yesterday was my first day of teaching the class with a "replacement" teacher, as the lead/mentor prof had surgery this morning and is out for most of the remainder of the semester. Talk about things that were unforeseen at the beginning of this internship! I have known about it for a while now and have tried to prepare accordingly, but now that the time is here...WOW!

So, Lisa is an experienced instructor and very sharp. She has the knowledge and expertise to finish out the class and do a great job. The only thing lacking for her is relationship with the students. The way this class is designed--as an experiential learning project--makes relationship vital. That is one of the places that I come in. I know the class and have gained a level of trust and respect from the students and knowledge of the students. Together, we have the makings of a decent team.

I am writing the family interactions for now and will be lecturing tomorrow. Because I don't have a "day job" and Lisa's schedule is far more hectic, I'll be keeping some office hours and meeting with students as needed. Already had one meeting yesterday and another scheduled for tomorrow. It is really cool. I spent a lot of energy and adrenaline yesterday and came home on a serious high after what felt like a perfect day. Today, on the other hand, I can barely drag myself around the house and am having difficulty focusing. Like I said, I spent a huge amount of adrenaline yesterday and it is haunting me today. Still, I love what I am doing and look forward to what lies ahead in this internship. I'm guessing it is one of the best teaching internships anyone has ever gotten to experience.

One note about the last post: While I agree with my friend Greg Boyd (gregboyd.org) that the election of Barack Obama to be the next President of the United States is a huge milestone in this country and certainly a reason to celebrate for all people--most especially people of color--I also have seen the ugly racism and hatred that have been simmering under the surface for decades now being laid bare. All one needs to do is read some of the comment forums in newspapers around the country to know that there are people who haven't let go of prejudices and bigotry and that it isn't just out there in the backwoods but it is in the most mainstream places in this country's "heartland." That is why I stated, and still hold to the opinion, that this election has the potential to be an historic launching pad for race relations but it may be the thing that most clearly defines the divisions in this country. I really hope I'm wrong and that my pessimism is unfounded.

No comments: