Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Love Woodland Hills

Another Sunday, another chance to fall in love. I find myself so excited to get going on Sunday mornings these days that I can barely contain myself. I was nervous that the roads might be bad today and was really glad when they were fine. I honestly don't remember a time when I was just so anxious to get to church on Sundays. It certainly wasn't the case when I was the guy up front. So, why is that?

The gathering area is electric. When we come in on Sunday mornings, the sense of anticipation is palpable. It may not be a place where everybody knows your name, but it certainly does seem that everyone is genuinely glad you're there. Not only that, but it seems that everyone around is glad to be there too. From the greeting at the door, to the small gatherings of people all over the room having intimate (and sometimes boisterous) conversation, to the person handing out bulletins at the entry to the worship area, the whole place just screams: WELCOME HOME!!!

The music is amazing. My heart starts to beat a bit faster when I see Norm head up to the stage area and get things going. There is something about his spirit, his attitude, his openness, that make it a joy to sing along with him. Add to that the fact that there are high-quality musicians up there, but they are not focused on production values, but rather on leading a bunch of people to a better experience with God. I love this. Even when I don't know the songs or am not really into the style (which is pretty rare), I love the feeling of worship with this group of people.

Greg is awesome. I've never been in a church where week after week I find resonance with the preaching. Greg Boyd is an incredible teacher and really smart. He also has a refreshing sense of love for and being loved by God. Add that to the fact that he is willing to be vulnerable and real and to play the doofus at times...I love knowing that this guy is my pastor.

It looks like God here. I look around and see people lost in wonder. I see people of various ages, races, economic standings and cultural backgrounds with this in common: we all meet God here through the worship experience and through the presence of His Kingdom in this body. Today I watched the woman who does the sign language interpretation as she danced while signing. I love that! Then I noticed the guy in the worship choir today who came on stage in a wheelchair and stood to sing with the help of a walker. And this is normal life at Woodland Hills. People dance, they sing, they raise and clap hands, they shout and cheer, they pray and they give. Occasionally they even break into a conga line! I see Jesus here, partying and praising for all he's worth.

I've been at Woodland Hills for about nine months and have seen my faith expand even as my life circumstances become less certain. I am thankful that there is a church like this and that I am fortunate enough to be a part of it.

No comments: