Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Drought

Blogging confirms many of the poor thoughts I have about myself...especially the ones that have to do with being undisciplined and disorganized. It has been over five months since I last wrote. How does that happen? I enjoy writing, so why don't I, why can't I, write? I guess part of it could be my reason for writing. Am I writing for others to read, in the hope that they will enjoy and comment? Am I writing for profundity, that the world will be awestruck by my deep thoughts (sound of crickets chirping)? Or am I writing to help bring my soul to light and life? Perhaps if I could truly engage the my heart and soul in my writing I would write more often and more consistently.

Life is not horrible these days. I like teaching. I love the kids. I also fight the battle against anxiety on a regular basis, as I get locked up trying to plan or grade. I keep waiting for the day to come when I am exposed to the world as a complete fraud. I want to make a difference, I want to impact the part of the world I work in, I want my coworkers to like and respect me. I feel insignificant and phony. Finding peace with the demons inside me is a process I have not yet mastered. I realize I am whiny. I realize there are people in the world, students in my classroom, with real problems...the ones that aren't just self-inflicted and overinflated. Just wish I could find the escape hatch from my constant overanalysis and self-absorption. We'll see.

1 comment:

Teresa Sundmark said...

Joe,
Don't let not keeping up with a blog be another thing to feel guilty about. Life gets in the way of our best intentions, which doesn't mean that the best intentions were bad or misplaced.
I believe writing is one of those things that happens all the time, even when it's not being documented. Going about your life and taking notice of the subtleties is writing, and the time will come when you put it on paper (or the computer.)
I always enjoy reading what you have to write, and I won't drop your blog, whether it's a week between posts or six months.
Teresa