Friday, September 12, 2008

Those First Halting Baby Steps

Now that we are officially at the end of week two, I have had time to make some observations, learn some lessons, and note some highlights.

Observations:

The same group of people is not the same class on Tuesday as it is on Thursday. Moods change, preparation levels vary, seating might be rearranged, I might have different things on my mind and when you add up the variables, class never happens the same way twice. This is another validation for plans A through C when starting each class session.

It is possible to teach without being an expert! I find that I am able to contribute to the teaching dialog even though I don't have a vast background of knowledge in the subject area. Simply studying up some and drawing on experience gained through living can go a long way toward being a teacher. It helps to let the students attempt to answer some of their own questions as well. Teaching has a lot more to do with facilitating learning than disseminating knowledge.

Lessons learned:

Be prepared and then review again. I made a rather redundant suggestion in class on Tuesday, simply because it had been a week since I looked at the syllabus and the assignment for that day. It's amazing how much embarrassment one can be spared simply by doing a quick review before leaving the office for the classroom. Still, as that seems to be my biggest faux pas so far, I don't feel too awful.

(This one may be specific to me, but) When another person has more confidence in me than I have in myself, I need to go with their opinion. I have sooooo much trouble accepting that I might have some abilities and a serious fear of risking and stretching to achieve what I want to do; yet others--in this case, my teaching mentor--tell me that I have no reason to worry and that I am capable. This is more than just a teaching issue, it is very much a life issue. I can't figure out why I am unable to see my assets and instead tend to just see myself as an ass.

Highlights!

I was able to pull off my first substantial assignment without a hitch and with surprisingly little revision from my mentor. Not only that, there was no groundswell of dissent from the students in the class when they received their assignments from me. I was almost able to breathe when it was over!

I received my first email from a student in the class, letting ME know that he would be absent and checking to see if I had anything he needed to do to make up the absence. Obviously, the lead professor will handle that part of things and he did email her as well, but that he respected my position in the classroom enough to check in with me too was pretty exciting.

And now, it is on to preparation for my first solo teaching assignment which is coming sooner than I expected!

No comments: