Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Losing My Teaching Virginity

Today was the big day, my first solo teaching assignment. My mentor/prof was out of town so I was in charge of a class of 20 senior students in a family communication class. Well, it would have been 20, but only 18 showed up! I tried to be creative in methodology. It is a one hour, 40 minute class so a little change of pace here and there is important. With that in mind, I drew on my youth pastor days and did a 20 minute game to begin in which the students had the opportunity to discuss what made fictional TV families healthy or unhealthy (healthy family communication was our focus for the day). Then I "committed" lecture. It was longer than I intended and seemed to be boring them to death. Finally, using what we had discussed in the opening game and what had been pointed out to them in the lecture, the students met in their family groups to consider an imaginary case study and how a healthy family would handle it communicatively.

So, how did it go? First, on the part of the students, I thought they did a valiant job of participating in the game/activity and in the family setting. This is a smart bunch and they pick things up pretty quickly. Some were very diligent about taking notes during the lecture although I couldn't quite read if it was boring, confusing or simply below their level of knowledge. Some of them probably have more experience in this field than I do. Anyway, it didn't seem to capture them in any particular way.

As for me, I was terribly nervous. I had a few weeks notice but of course didn't prepare any too early but that is my normal way. I like having a deadline hanging over me. Still, I had done some reading and discussion, was familiar with what was in our text, etc. That said, I felt like there was something SIGNIFICANT missing in the lecture time. First, it was way too long--probably about 45 minutes. Then I really struggled with transitioning from one area to the next. I wasn't comfortable with the setup--I couldn't figure out where to put my notes so they would be accessible without being a barrier (I prefer to not have things between the students and me when I am talking with them). The activities seemed to be received with a decent attitude. The game went long and a lot of students did not want to talk. Still, it wasn't a total disaster. The family group/case study activity went well. They took it seriously and produced a well-thought-through result. Not the worst idea I have ever had!

What have I learned today? First, there is a long way to go. I am not close to being a good teacher. Second, there is a satisfaction when interacting with students that brings me happiness and even a level of joy. I can see how I would find purpose in my work as a teacher and that is exciting. Third, it is all on videotape so my mentor and others can critique it. The worst might still be ahead!

No comments: