Sunday, October 5, 2008

Ongoing Insights

After missing a class because I was sick, it was a little strange returning to the classroom on Thursday. Funny how missing one session can cause such a sense of disconnect. Still, it was nice to be back and to know that some of the students missed me. Go figure.

Thursday was the first time the family groups met for interaction. This is a unique dynamic about this class. The students are learning experientially. We do some lecture, there is certainly some discussion and material covered, but the nuts and bolts learning and application happens in a conversational setting in which roles are played based on research the students have done leading up to each interaction. They remain in these characters for the entire semester and see how they develop, grow and change in a family relational setting.

Obviously, each student excels in different facets of the academic experience. It is interesting to see how some who may not stand out in written work or classroom discussion are blossoming in the research and role play. This is an important observation for me. When teaching, we have to allow for learning exercises that enable each student to have an opportunity to shine. I was a good "tester" but not everyone is. I don't stand out in research but others do. So, I may have to teach outside my strengths but the goal is not to highlight my teaching but to expedite student learning.

One other note to pass along: Sometimes the process of study required for teaching can open up generate feelings in us that we're not ready to face. This is a family communication class. When we discuss family histories, communication patterns and functions, secrets and boundaries, there was some significant pain in the realization that my extended family has never communicated much. There are so many things in my family history that I know nothing about that it saddened me deeply to do the reading and research. It was painful. It appears there are moments in teaching when the teacher is reshaped. What a journey this is shaping up to be.

No comments: