Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fade to Black

Last night was the final performance (of six) of the Champlin Park High School production of "Phantom." It was also Senior recognition night. And for the first time in my life, one of those seniors was mine. Back when I was a youth pastor, I went to a bunch of these kinds of things for my graduating youth group kids and it was always a little melancholy--honoring my students, but realizing they weren't going to be a part of things with us in the same way anymore. Now it is my daughter, my oldest. Realizing that this was her final performance in high school musicals, that it was another milestone on her way out the door, I feel a deep sense of loss. She is so much like me that I'm not sure how much she understands the connection, how much joy I feel at her joy and how much I experience and carry the sorrow she endures. I sat with a father's pride, watching my little girl get her rose, her hug and her final bow. I miss her already.

No comments: