Thursday, March 6, 2008

What I'm Lookin For...

I watched a video today on people who got patents on communication devices/technologies over the past couple of centuries. One of the amazing things about these guys is how often what they ended up patenting was not what they set out to invent. As they kept trying, new ideas opened up before them and they often followed paths they had not originally seen. This has me thinking. I started out on a "career path" about 20 years ago, one that has brought me virtually no satisfaction. I have always bounced back to this field because it is what I know, what I have studied and what feels safe--even as it slowly drives me out of my mind. So now something has come apart and I no longer feel safe there. I have been looking at different jobs in some familiar fields and am finding nothing. So, I wonder if perhaps the message from God in this journey/search is to be open to the unexpected, that what he intends to "patent" in me is not the product I thought I was trying to invent. Doesn't give me a great deal of security in this moment, but it does start to kindle a little hope that all is not lost, that there me be something better around the bend. Perhaps I will someday find what I'm looking for.

No comments: